Monday, July 27, 2009

3 Weeks To Go!

Hello again!

It is now 21 days until I take off for the UK! I'm feeling less stressed (surprisingly), and am getting more excited each day :) Even though it feels like I just got home for the summer, I'm already thinking about saying goodbye. I'm also thinking about starting to pack, which I am sure will make things all too real...

This blog, I want to lay out some of my personal goals for England Term, and my goals for this blog. A few weeks ago, one of the profs. going with us asked us why we were going on England Term (aside from a line on the resume). This got me thinking in "big picture" terms, so I apologize if these aspirations seem a little vague:

Goal #1- Feel comfortable living in a completely different culture.

Goal #2- Broaden my American worldview.

Goal #3- Gain a more personal and substantial connection to the authors I study and the literature I read.

Goal #4- Figure out who I am in relation to others and to the world.

Goal #5 (and most importantly)- Have a blast! Pick up an accent! Try something new every day!

Admittedly, these goals may not be easily measurable. That's where this blog comes in. I hope that by recording my journey, I will be able to track how I'm progressing in these areas. I also hope that by physically putting these goals "on paper," I will feel more accountability toward accomplishing them. (So, if you see me growing/struggling in one of these areas in my writings, please comment on that!...Outside eyes tend to see things more clearly on stuff like this.)

That's going to have to be it for today-- Subway duty calls!

Again, please feel free to comment! (To those of you who replied to the blog's email: Thanks for replying! But if you could actually go to my blog and click "comment," everyone else could see what you have to say, too. Thanks!)

Thanks for reading! <3

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited for you. Just one question...do you have room for me in your suitcase!?!??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us share in this adventure! Of course, round-trip tickets to Europe would be nice, too! JK! Love you lots. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! My experience abroad when I was a junior in college has stayed with me all these years. I am so happy you have this opportunity. I will pray for you. I'll get your itinerary from your mom.

    ReplyDelete